If you need some cosy time all by yourself, and looking for somewhere unique to stay for a night or more, boutique hotels in Malaysia offer you more than an accommodation. You will get extra nice decoration, extra services plus extra experience.
Today, boutique hotels – normally a cosy-signature accommodation with less than 100 rooms – are mushrooming with variable themes and decors. For our 20 SPECIAL picks this month, we give you some of the popular choices from many states of Malaysia.
1. AMBONG-AMBONG, Langkawi, Kedah (www.ambong-ambong.com) The Travellers’ Choice 2019 Winner outshines the most in the mystical island of Langkawi. Ambong-Ambong Rainforest Retreat is rainforest accommodation of boutique resort perched on a slope, overlooking the sea and islands of Langkawi offers great Japanese restaurant and highly rated massage services.
2. TERRAPURI, Penarik, Terengganu (www.terrapuri.com) Terrapuri (The Land Of Palaces) is a conservation and restoration project of Terengganu Malay Classic house. Its feature 29 antique hundred years old Classic Houses. The layout of the resort is inspired by the 17th century Terengganu Palace and its surrounding. Terrapuri consists of 20 exclusive restored villas, a gallery and a beach house.
3. MAJESTIC, Melaka (www.majesticmalacca.com) The heart of the hotel is a restored 1920s Straits Settlement mansion complete with its original porcelain tile flooring and teakwood fittings. It has been extended to house the guest rooms and suites as well as an award-winning spa that is a reflection of that era, melding luxury, modernity and tradition. (source www.ytlhotels.com)
4. ESTADIA, Melaka (www.estadiahotel.com) Estadia By Hatten is perhaps the best Baba Nyonya-themed hotel in Melaka. It is located in the center of Melaka City and the interior of the hotel is tastefully done up based on Baba Nyonya style. There are a Nyonya restaurant & a pub located beside the hotel lobby & the Nyonya foods are fantastic (review in tripadvisor.com).
5. SEVEN TERRACES, Georgetown, Pulau Pinang (www.georgetownheritage.com/seven-terraces-hotel) Winner of the 2007 UNESCO Award of Distinction for heritage conservation and regular Conde Naste Hot List nominees, It successfully captures and celebrates the spirit of this world heritage town and its unique peranakan culture. Pure beauty!
6. CHEONG FATT TZE, Georgetown, Pulau Pinang (www.cheongfatttzemansion.com) The majestic boutique hotel rooms are tucked within the tranquil tropical courtyards of The Blue Mansion. Each of the 18 personalized boutique rooms are uniquely adorned and intricately furnished, taking you back into Penang’s glorious history in the exclusive rooms, invigorating jacuzzi and authentic furniture of the 19th century.
7. ROYALE CHULAN CHERATING VILLA, Cherating, Pahang (www.royalechulan.com/Cherating) Located in a resort town on the east coast of Malaysia, Cherating is home to some of Malaysia’s most picturesque seascapes, a perfect getaway for soul searching singles, lovebirds and family gathering. 34 private villas and suites come with a private beach. What a package!
8. ANGGUN, Kuala Lumpur (www.anggunkl.com) Located in Changkat Tong Shin, Bukit Bintang area – Anggun is a boutique hotel with rooftop spa and semi-outdoor café fitted with wooden flooring and teak furnishings. The Alam Beauty Spa surely a bonus if you are to stay here. Choose room with four-poster bed and private balcony with street views, advices booking.com.
9. THE RANEE B, Kuching, Sarawak (www.theranee.com) This is an exclusive 24-room boutique hotel strategically located in the heart of Kuching’s picturesque Old Town. Stylishly rebuilt from two traditional 19th century shophouses and ingeniously adapted to modern standards of plush comfort, The Ranee is unique in that every spacious room/suite is different – designed to express its own individuality, charm and character, hints www.tripadvisor.com.
10. VILLA MOLEK, Langkawi, Kedah (www.villamolek.com). As you step into Villa Molek you are greeted by 12 charming and beautifully designed private villa studios, each resembles a complete home. Its superb location and quiet elegance makes it a favourite among travellers looking for total relaxation (www.tripadvisor.com)
11. PANJI-PANJI TROPICAL WOODEN HOME, Langkawi, Kedah (www.panjipanji.com). Enjoy the comforts of a sea frontage tropical wooden Malay house. A home situated next to the Cenang river and the local fishermen’s pier, and is only minutes away from the famous Cenang Beach. A perfect place to enjoy the sunset and relax (from booking.com).
12. THE BLANC, Melaka (facebook.com/TheBlancBoutiqueHotel). Originally a refurbished heritage building, The Blanc is a tastefully decorated new hotel in Melaka. The room is full well decorated and designed, plus a rooftop view. Centrally located and just a walk away from Jonker Street Night Market and Mahkota Parade Shopping Mall. Very convenient.
13. TANJUNG JARA RESORT, Tg. Jara, Terengganu (www.tanjongjararesort.com) Offering accommodation inspired by the majestic 17th century Malay palaces, Tanjong Jara boasts 2 outdoor pools and an award-winning spa. It features 3 dining options with South China Sea views.
14. SARI PACIFICA, Redang, Terengganu (www.saripacificaredangisland.com) In the beautiful island of Redang, Sari Pacifica Resort & Spa offers spacious villas with private balconies and spa baths. It also features a beachfront pool and restaurant. The spaciousness of tropical-style villas allows for a large walk-in closet and seating area. Unfortunately the door is closed during monsoon season.
15. ROSA, Melaka (www.rosa.com.my) This hotel screams nothing but an industrial-concept marvel. Bare bricks, cement walls, and wooden floor panels make up most of the hotel’s interior which is further complimented with tonnes of fun and timeless deco. Such a photo haven for Instagram addicts! (from www.rojakdaily.com)
16. TIMEZ, Melaka (www.timezhotel.com) The hotel is literally a melting pot of culture as it incorporates five cultures in its design – Chinese, Peranakan, Dutch, Portuguese, and British but with a modern twist.
17. LANTERN, Kuala Lumpur (www.lanternhotel.com) This budget boutique hotel revolves around an industry-meets-tropical design concept with a funky touch and friendly atmosphere. The rooms here are minimalist but elegant and with rates that will definitely meet your budget. (thesmartlocal.com)
18. BLISS BOUTIQUE, Johor Bharu, Johor (www.blissboutiquehotel.com) Not all boutique hotels charge exorbitant rates, some are value-for-money and offer high rated services. Bliss Boutique Hotel falls into this category, adorned with artistic and flamboyant touches. This Art Deco hotel is totally colourful and chic!
19. M BOUTIQUE HOTEL, Ipoh, Perak (https://ipoh.mboutiquehotels.com) Featuring stark contrasting monochromatic furnishings, this unique hotel takes its inspiration from jazz bars of the past. Black chandeliers, monkey cages, and rustic grey furniture adorn the rooms and communal areas, lending it a stark yet classy vibe (source www.smartlocal.com)
20. JAPAMALA RESORT, Tioman, Terengganu (www.japamalaresorts.com) JapaMala is Tioman Island’s only boutique resort, and one-of-a-kind in Malaysia. This small and exclusive resort of 13 rooms is hidden amidst 11 acres of lush tropical rainforest. A one-village-one-resort property, JapaMala has its own private and quiet beach. Rated highly in www.tripadvisor.com.my